Requirements for Volunteers
The Hope Mills Fire Department is classified as a “combination” department which means that part of our personnel are career staff and the other part is volunteers. Those interested in volunteering are certainly welcomed, however you need to be aware of the following criteria:
- You must be 18 years of age with a high school diploma or GED.
- You must be interviewed and recommended by the department’s screening board.
- You must pass a criminal background and driver's license check.
- You must pass drug screening.
- You must have reliable transportation.
- You must complete a 90-day probationary training packet.
- You must maintain 240 hours of training annually. (Exception: military deployments)
- You must reside in a geographical area that would be conducive to a volunteer response.
- You must attend mandatory Tuesday Night training, unless attending other fire service training.
- Once on the department, you must achieve state fire service certifications within a reasonable time frame
Join the Team
Those individuals interested in becoming a volunteer firefighter are encouraged to stop by the station and talk to personnel about volunteering. Applications for volunteer firefighters are available at the Hope Mills Fire Department located at 5788 Rockfish Road in Hope Mills.